Tuesday, July 12, 2011

UDL Concept Map

Above is the concept map for the UDL Article on Chapters 3 & 4. This was done using bubbl.us. It was a very easy website to use since there was not a great deal of choices in which to make the map. That made is very clear as to how to make new bubbles and arrange them as I needed. The only problem that I had with this was that I could not save a draft while I was working. This would have been nice, because I would have made 2 separate maps for each chapter. As it is here, there is one map, and the information can be a bit overbearing. 

As far as the article goes, I really like 2 of the ideas. The first being the overall philosophy of UDL in that it implies creating a learning environment and curriculum that will reach all students of all learning styles and abilities. We see a lot of this idea when the term differentiation is used, but by comparing it to buildings, it is much easier to see and understand. The other comparison I liked was that between access to information vs access to learning. I think that goes back to the saying "give a man a fish, feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime." We as teachers need to make sure we are allowing students to find the answers for themselves and not just providing information.

1 comment:

  1. Really nice work on the concept map. Very neat and clean: easy to follow. I agree with you that some additional functionality--saving as draft in your case, more efficiently exporting the image in my case--would have been more helpful. I used Webspiration, but it seems pretty consistent that the web based alternatives aren't quite as user-friendly as the the Inspiration application.

    I also agree with you that the prospect of learning for everyone is appealing. But I'm also very aware of the increased time demands it would place on teachers. You're right: the analogy to architecture was great for conveying the importance of UDL and the requirement that UDL goals be incorporated from the onset of curriculum planning. Throwing in "add-ons" after a syllabus has already been designed seems impractical and ungainly.

    ReplyDelete